View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
rdunk

When I was getting ready to buy our 2005, I did enough research to learn that Disc Brakes would be the only way to go for us. Actual controlled testing with a fifth wheel trailer has shown that disc brakes have typically a 30% to 40% shorter stopping distance compared to drum brakes. For anyone concerned about safety as we travel the highways, that should pretty well answer the question.

Whatever the shorter stopping distance might actually be, with disc brakes, shorter is better :D , shorter is safer :D , and shorter might be the only difference between going on down the road :D , or going to the hospital. :cry:

This is what Mor/ryde says about disc brakes on their website -

* "Disc brakes improve towing safety by offering automotive-grade brake performance that provides up to 30% shorter stopping distance".

*Disc Brake Benefits

* Smoother, quieter braking
* Reduced heat build-up
* Fewer moving parts
* Reduced maintenance costs
* Replacement parts available at most automotive stores"

http://www.morryde.com/php/products/trailer_brakes.php

A really good brake controller, with the disc brakes, would enhance the combined braking of the tow vehicle and 5er also. I don't mind saying, my recommendation is the BrakeSmart controller. Like the discs brakes, the BrakeSmart does cost more, but it too is well worth the extra.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote