View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #9
stanleyz

Thought I'd give this a bump and an update. I did not replace the ram because I ordered one from the local DRV dealer and it didn't get in before I was scheduled to leave for the summer. To take the trip I fashioned two chains to hold up the stabilizers while I was under way. There were hooks on both ends and as soon as the stabilizers started down the chains would tighten and hold them up. When set up in a site I removed the chains and used the stabilizers. Took an extra minute at the most when setting up or moving out. I finally cancelled the order for the ram when after 6 weeks I found out it had not left LCI yet and still had to go through DRV then to the dealer. Would have been better off to order from LCI myself.

Anyway, we went all the way to the Pacific ocean and were started back to ATL after two months. Somewhere in remote Nevada it got interesting. We stopped at a truck stop and as I slowed I could hear a stabilizer riding on the black top. The chain on the passenger side had come off. I stopped and raised them and found a nice secluded spot on the ramp to do some emergency repair. Found some rubber bungees and a piece of cable to make an emergency repair. At that point I noted that the stabilizer had not extended while I was getting supplies. They were staying up on their own. We get under way and at the first hardware we can find I buy a piece of chain and some hooks and fashion two new chains, one spare. As I replace the missing chain I note that the stabilizer has not extended since I raised it at the truck stop. They were both staying up on their own, working as designed. However I didn't trust then so when we moved on I installed the chains with bungee cords so that if the stabilizers tried to extend while under way the chains would stop them but if they stayed up I would be able to tell it. As best I recall they reverted to failing three days later somewhere in Missouri. So, I got home and parked the trailer and the stabilizers were failing just like they were when we left. But they had worked correctly for three days or so which makes me believe the ram is OK.

I had a bit of time to mess with it last week. I recall that someone had said on line that all the valves (there are five) should be turned fully counter clockwise. I thought I had turned them all that way but a few days ago I got to checking and found one that would not tighten counter clockwise, the shaft would have screwed out. (don't forget the certified techs at CW worked on it) I then tried clockwise and when I hit what felt like the stop I gave an extra twist and it moved in a bit, so I gave several more twists and then tried the stabilizers and they seem to be working. I've tried most every order of opening and closing slides and raising and lowering landing gear and stabilizers and it seems that so long as the last thing I do is snug up the stabilizers they will stay up indefinitely.

I have no idea if this is going to be the end of it or not. I also have no idea what would have caused them to be repaired. CW replaced two valves but fixed nothing. I'm just playing with them and trying to make sure they are going to work. If I don't add anything here you may assume they are repaired. Life is strange sometimes.