View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
netjam

As the one who drove without trailer brakes from Ontario to TN, I agree with the comments of billr and motor31. I do however feel that some explanation of my situation is in order. In May of 07 I picked up my first rv or trailer, the Elite Suite. I took a 5thwheel driving course and set out. For 2 years I never felt that the trailer brakes worked properly and visted numerous rv dealers (while warranty) and truck trailer places (often paying $100/hr) for brake system inspection. They all told me the trailer brakes were operating as designed. I believed them, this was my first trailer experience, but it never felt right. I visited at least a dozen shops during this time. In 09 I left western Canada for Mor-ryde in Goshen to have my IS suspension looked at and I asked them to look at the disk brakes relaying my concerns. They indicated all was fine. I went down the road to Indiana Interstate for a few repairs and asked them to check the brakes...Paul told me all was good. While going over the bridge from Port Huron to Sarnia the trailer brakes quit. I went to Can-Am in London where they told me I needed pads. I paid $1300 for pads and a new brake controller in the truck thinking maybe the controller was the problem. I spent a month traveling Ontario and all seemed good. When leaving Ontario, the brakes again seemed iffy. By the time I got to Knoxville I knew something was amiss. I told Butch at RVs for Less to fix it or remove the disks and put drum brakes on the trailer. Butch indicated that the problem was the Actibrake actuator and that DRV was well aware of it. He got DRV to supply a new (different brand) actuator and pay his labor. After that everything was fine. I certainly do not suggest driving without trailer brakes but as a first timer towing and countless places telling me "everything is fine". I drove on thinking it must be me, the equipment is fine.