View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #33
stanleyz

I'm gonna try and revive this thread and see if I can get some more use out of it. In 2010 when my 5er was 5 years old I looked hard at the OE tires (GoodYear G614 16 inch load range G) and decided they would stand another summer trip. So I loaded up and headed west. Made it all the way to Anniston AL. (150 miles or so) before I had the first blow out. Took out the gas line, the AC power line and some other stuff. I put the spare on and limped to Tupelo MS where I spent 3 days and 20 trips to Home Depot to get everything back together. Best I could do for a new spare was a E rated truck tire but figured it would get me off the highway and to an RV park if anything else happened. A few weeks later I'm in OK and the other OE tire on that side blew out. If I had read this thread I would have expected it. Changed that one and now I'm on an E rated truck tire. I soft pedal to Fort Smith AR and find a truck tire place and get two G114 G rated tires and I'm good to go. As soon as I get back to ATL I find a truck place and go get two more GY 16 inch G rated tires. By 2012 I have studied the tire situation some more and I go for new GY 17.5 H rated tires. Today I'm washing the trailer and I think about the tires. THEY WILL BE FIVE YEARS OLD THIS SUMMER and I'm planning a big trip.

There seem to be two opinions on this thread, "change them before 5 years" and "they are fine for 7 or 8 years". I just spent 1200 bucks getting the axles re-bent and aligned and the tires LOOK great. Besides I think I paid north of 2500$ for the tires and wheels and I don't think I got my monies worth yet. But, on the other hand I don't want to deal with any more blow outs. OPINIONS OR COMMENTS REQUESTED HERE.