View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #18
billr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstark
While this thread has been high-jacked (pun intended) to an extent; I'll nevertheless add my input:

Lippert/Dexter/and DRV are advising you from a purely mechanical component integrity viewpoint and NOT necessarliy for real world usage of these units.

Their approach is to protect themselves from a warranty or any failure claim arising PERHAPS from mis-use of a jack to raise one wheel.

For those of us who've actually attempted to raise the entire side of the rig off the ground using two identical tall boy jacks placed adjacent to the rear most and front most hangers; it's nearly an impossible task for those who travel without two TALL hydrualic or air/over hydraulic jacks.

My truck was an international toter with the ability to carry a number of air operated hydraulic jacks and I routinely carried a 20 ton stubby for getting under the axle of the front axle of my toter in the event of a flat steer tire and I also carried two identical 20 ton air operated tall boys for the purpose of jacking the entire side of the trailer to change a tire without having to use much "cribbing" under the jacks to complete the task.

I attempted this once in a rest stop of I-40 near Tulsa and would NEVER do so again. I instead completed the wheel change-out using the stubby under the spring perch, lifting the wheel only as far as was necessary to clear the ground.

Firstly jacks and cribbing necessary to lift one side of the trailer high enough to compensate for the spring sag of both axle ends to clear the tire off the ground are extensive and add additional weight to your CCWR that would be better used to take weight off the combo.

Secondly getting that thing high enough in the air to clear the affected tire is darn dangerous having it sitting on the tops of those two jack pads at an angle.

Thirdly for those who've used an emergency call -out company; did they, or did they not, jack under the axle spring perch and probably outright REFUSE to jack the entire side of the rig; ESPECIALLY if performing this exercise on the side of a busy highway.

Done carefully no damage should result because you are merely lifting the thing at the very same point the weight of the trailer for that wheel is tranferred through the spring to the axle. You are also not lifting that tire any more than it would be lifted transiting any campground speed bump.

In short; while it is all very well for ALL company's involved in mitigating damage caused to suspension components, axles, springs or hangers. In the real world it just isn't practical to carry all the necessary crap you'd need to perform this maneouver on the side of a highway in a safe and secure manner.

I'm with Mike and Joe on this one from personal experience having dealt with two tire failures while en-rout AND having enough equipment to perform the task as suggested but opting for the spring perch regardless due to expediancy and safety.

Not bad Bruce! For a Florida ranch resident! :lol: I agree completly. Use the spring plate, no issue. I have had to raise the entire side to replce a spring and had to use everything I carry and then some (big 8X8 blocks from the campground) I do carry a 15T Hyd and 20T Air/Hyd jack.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote