View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Gemstone

Dale...you ask "‘there is no such thing as a perfect unit’. My question is, WHY NOT!!"

My understanding is that on top of an hourly wage, RV workers are compensated with a bonus plan of so many "units" of production. That is, they get paid a bonus if they keep up the production to a fixed number of units per day or per week. Quality will always take a back seat under this plan. Until production workers are compensated on a zero defect basis, rather than a certain number of units, we can expect to see quality issues....regardless of sticker price.

IMO, warranty reserve (dollars set aside by the manufacturer to cover anticipated, average repair issues) is built into the cost to the dealer, and is not borne by the dealer...therefore one should expect warranty work be performed at any qualified dealership. Additionally, one should also expect to be treated with somewhat of a lesser value to the warranty provider, if the original purchase and profit was taken by another dealer. From my experience (outside of the RV industry), warranty payments by the manufacturer to the dealer are historically slow, which may add to the reluctance of a dealer to perform warranty work on a unit he/she did not sell.

Most of us have had some sort of quality issue handled via warranty...some more than others. But I think most of us can say that regardless of how frustrating these quality issues are to the purchaser, this manufacturer stands behind their product.

Good Luck with your decision.

Gemstone