View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
You are right to wonder about the tires, but I would bet they are fine. And if the trailer weighs 13500 dry, then there is only about 10-10500lbs on the tires taking the pin weight into account.
Joe
I don't think you can "factor out" the pin weight, as the tire target psi was determined KNOWING that 25% of the weight would be on the pin versus the tires. The only thing you can really factor out is the difference between dry curb weight (13,500) and GVWR (17,000), since the tires at 110 psi hAVE to be able to carry the fully loaded 17,000 lb RV plus undoubtedly have a safety factor built in as well. So, it is "reasonable" to think that if 110 psi supports 17,000 lb safely, even under adverse conditions (e.g. 110 degree ambient weather), then 13,500 should be safe at 13,500/17,000 = 79% of 110 psi.

79% of 110 psi is 87 psi.

Now, the tires on the rig we are contemplating buying were run (during the dealer transfer process) on Interstate 35 for 250 miles at probably 70 mph versus the saner 60 mph recommended for trailer tires. And they were inflated to only 83 psi for the one underinflated tire and 80 psi for the other underinflated tire. Finally, the ambient temperature was also very hot for October for even Texas, as it was 97 degrees at the time the highway run was made.

So, I view what the dealer did as marginal from a tire health perspective, especially since the dealer specifically said that the tire psi is "always" checked by the transport driver before the run begins. (Ha. proved THAT wrong, didn't we! Another dealer assurance shot to Hell )

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote