View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

I put the 50amp PI surge protector w/remote display in my '05 just this spring--it is in the same compartment as the plugin and where the cord is stored. It took me the better part of two days to do it as I was afraid of wiring something wrong--this time included several breaks to think things thru. The 50a cord stiffness and short bends took most of the time, and I had to move the original plugin in rearward to make room for the pigtail to connect the plugin to the surge protector.
If your Tradition has the plugin in the cord storage compartment, I can take pics of the placement and post them--if yours is a direct mount plugin on the side/rear, won't be much help.
I also ran the remote display into the service panel where all the tank and battery info is displayed--had to order a longer connection wire from PI ($35) to reach far enough. You will have to drop some of the belly covering to run it this way. Couple things about the remote readout: if you only get the one without the remote, you can probably watch it when you plug into the pedestal; if you get the remote, you can't see the display until you walk back into the trailer, but I can watch the amp draw of the different legs as I turn on the different appliances/draws and that info is enlightening, to say the least.
As to ease of installation--after doing mine, helped a friend with a MH do same 2 weeks later and it took only about 2 hours. Getting the SP wire routed nicely inside the unit itself was really the hard part--not much room to work with. Pics that come with the instructions show some really nice wiring work--must have been a professional that did the wiring for the pics.
I think I got the best price from Tweetys.com in Boerne, TX
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote