View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #18
rotaxman

Camber

Hey Guys

I'm stuck with one of those wonderful DRV lost camber frames on my new 09.

It is my understanding from a very good source that Lippert builds the frame with camber in them. I believe this camber is arch as Bruce mentioned I'm like him camber does not sound like the correct term for the problem.

My source tells me that DRV orders their frames with zero camber or arch.

He says that it is much easier for DRV to put the walls on the frame if it is flat he also says that DRV needs to get their frames with the camber built in and pull them down when the set the walls.

He went on to say that DRV does not want to be bothered with the extra work that it would entail to pull the frames down. Typical DRV why do the job right when you can do it wrong take every short cut you can to increase the bottom line.

I do understand getting the biggest bottom line you can but not at the expense of losing customers.

I took the front closet apart yesterday to get rid of that useless shoe rack and to modify it to be like my 06 36TK3's closet. Found that there was no insulation under the floor of the closet or in the front cap above the closet. There is no doubt in my mind that this trailer was a hurry up job to make quota.

Didn't mean to hi jack the thread I believe the camber problem is arching of the frame. When Lippert made the repair in my driveway they jacked the trailer up at the rear end until all 4 wheels were off the ground then welded in 7 steel plates that were a quarter inch think 10 inches wide and 2 foot long on the curb side of the frame. On the street side they welded in a half inch thick 4 inch wide 10 foot long piece of steel. These plates were all welded to the inside of the frame. I was not real happy with this as I'm sure it has cut down my useful load considerable and as you all know the DRV line is short to start out with on cargo carrying capacity.

It would appear to me by the fix that the frame must sag in front of the axles and behind the axles. I would think that by jacking from the rear end and letting the wheels hang off the ground that it would be pulling the center of the frame downward. Just my thoughts may be totally wrong.

I hope this shed some light on the frame camber issue.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750