View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
bstark

Diesel Gypsy:

This tire thing has bitten a few of us multiple times and as per suggestions from a number of tire dealers I've talked to (spending entirely *pun* too much time in their shops) and most recently Tire Tech over on the Escapee's forum they've all mentioned the same thing: lower pressures means more sidewall flexing, more sidewall flexing means more heat, more heat means likelyhood of tread separation is increased.

Now the hard part is to discipline ourselves to run at or closer to the sidewall stated cold inflation figures and also compensate for hotter ambient temp days by running slower and stopping more frequently.

I get the feeling that simply running at the max cold pressure and blazing down the highway with one of our tires overloaded (easily done on the kitchen side) will simply lessen the chance of tread separation but increase the chance of blowout from overpressure. JMHO.

My next step in the fight to lessen the odds is to have my trailer weighed by Stacy at the upcoming rally to determine my exact individual tire weights while carrying our typical winter snowbird load of "stuff".