Thread: Basement Door
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Red Ram

Ken, I can tell you what worked for me on my 07, and I didn't use any kind of adhesive. I fabricated 4"x4" x1/8" stainless steel plates with 8 equally spaced holes around the edges. In the center of the plate I drilled a 1/4" hole to mount the strut bracket. In the hole I tig welded a 1/4-20 stud. By tig welding it from the back side, it is flush with the door.

I had to file out the hole in the bracket so that it would receive the 1/4" stud. I used a self locking nut to hold the bracket on. I don't remember the size of the eight screws that hold the plate to the door, but they were not very big, maybe #8 size. Set the 4x4 plate at the side and top edge of the door so that 5 of the 8 screws will screw into the metal frame that is inside the edge of the door.

I put these on all three doors about this time 3 years ago and not one of them has loosened up. You probably would not have to use stainless steel or tig weld the stud to the plate. I am some-what of a do it yourself fabricator/welder and that happens to be the materials I had at hand.