View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #69
CALinSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyOldGuy View Post
My G114’s (17.5) are starting to wear funny. I found this thread and as usual you guys are a treasure trove of information. It never even crossed my mind that Goodyear would cover trailer damage in the event of a blowout.
They are OEM on my 2019 suites. Never been balanced or rotated. There are no weights on them so I assume DRV does not balance them. Manufacture date stamp is 3518. I think at 4 years old they need to go. Your opinions? They are wearing on the outside edges and one is starting to cup pretty bad. I’ll try to attach a picture.
I’ve never bought heavy duty trailer tires so when you say go to a Goodyear company store do you mean the same place you buy passenger car tires?
Also where do I get an alignment done? Is it necessary?
Thanks,
Phil
My best recommendation about your tire wear is to get an experienced tire installer to inspect them. You'll get a lot of different answers here because there are several different trailer conditions that will cause your tire wear.

Balancing is basically a product of tire manufacturers. When tires are used for trailer positions, balancing is seldom necessary. New tires have colored balancing dots on their sidewalls. When properly matched to the wheels they will not need any other balancing.

Balancing trailer wheel assemblies requires a hub centric adapter.

There are a lot of manufacturers now building 17.5" trailer tires. Most are less expensive than the GYs and just as reliable. Sailun comes to mind.