View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
bstark

A great many of us hated that "by the seat of our pants" approach to towing these things. You will not regret your choice! Our previous trailer was a 36' triple slide that weighed about 13K all loaded for travel and we were towing that with a Chevy 2500HD Duramax. We had had a couple of nail-biter incidents while on Interstates and decided if we ordered a DRV 38 footer, we'd definitely need a bigger TV so opted for a 4400 Intn'l. Then while we were at it we had a custom body built for the rear of it to house our Ultra so that it's loaded weight with 200 gals fuel etc., was right on 17,600lbs by itself.

A testament to the disc brakes of these trailers is; after transferring my Prodigy controller to the big truck and hooked to the Mobile Suites for the first time without changing it's settings, my 'test' tap of the brakes had us kissing the windshield in that International. Those disc's and the greater weight of the Mobile Suites with it's increased tire to road traction simply had us stopped in our tracks! I had to dial back that prodigy quite a bit to prevent flat-spotting of the tires with those disc brakes.

My truck had the full drum air brake set-up and would easily have stopped everything by itself with full air brake ABS control as well for a very real boost in confidence and safety over the pick-up route. That rig at over 34,000lbs would very easily out-stop our previous much lighter trailer and truck combo.