View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
47hook

bagpipes6, if you check you'll probably find some have had issues with the fiberglass top/screws on the Elite Suites. Haven't heard any more issues for a while. You are definitely right on water leaks being a big concern, but it is a problem that can eventually be corrected unlike 2 Da Wds fire loss (glad the new unit is working out for you). My concern with water leakage would center around your climate. Lived for almost 17 years in Fairbanks and there the concern was for ice daming. So, I think I would look at shielding the roof from snow/ice build up during the winter. If IIRC there were some other issues of water leakage around some of the windows, again nothing lately.

We have traded an Alfa 5er for our MS (which I really hope gets in this week so we can make our 1st scheduled trip to Lake Tahoe the 18th of this month) which we lived in full time for about 2 years in NC. Lots of scary thunderstorms with 0 leaking. Had other minor issues that for the most part I took care of.

I think what I would concern myself with is getting a unit that fit my needs and pocket book and not be overly concerned with possibilities of problems. A reputable manufacturer should stand behind their product. All products have the possibility of issues; a manufacturer doesn't go around trying to build a product that is junk. Cost is not always an indicator, but it sure helps. Also I've read posts that talk about manufacturer's picking "the lowest cost bidder" on items such as the Lippert frames. I hate to burst anyones bubble, but just about everything we buy is built that way. Military equipment, airline components, etc are generally bid that way, with performance requirements that are supposed to be met.

So, shop around, ask questions, keep track of who says what and how they say it on issues that you are concerned about and then just buy your RV and enjoy life...
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote