View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #19
billr

No need to mess around near the Gen auto transfer sw. Just install by the main panel that way is also protect you from the genny too.

The main panel had to come off the wall a bit to work on it but only had to disconnect the main feed that has to change. The length and restrictions on the main feed wiring may dictate where the unit is mounted as you do not want to extend the feed. I put in a diff brand unit and by sliding the main panel up a tad it fit below it in same area. But with the PI with remote you can place it behind the wall above the furnace area.

Yes, as Joe says, the distribution of circuits on mine was all wrong. I did have to correct it. I would hope this was an isolated instance and they are not still repeating this blunder on units these days.

Mine has a key to bypass the protection Only ever used it once in 10 yrs when it was a intermit low voltage issue and I verified it. Of course not running large users.

A friend just advised that he blew up his MW. computer, converter and small appl's when he had a rev voltage shown on his portable surge unit and tried with out unit is when everything was damaged. This was after the post wiring was repaired and still showed rev voltage. They thought the unit was bad. Turned out the post was miswired and he was first to use it.

Just an indication of how critical it is to have the protection all the time and never bypass it unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing.

Ours has saved us at least 4-5 times. Things like an open neutral, mis wired posts, low voltage (most common) One time the post had a hot breaker, melting on one leg of the 50. They lost the panel and wire. It was likely way gone when we got there just the lucky ones that had the unit kick the power off. I could smell the burnt offering from the post! Another time a loose wire on a post breaker caused low voltage. They didn't believe me but looking inside proved the issue.

Here at the park, we see all kinds of things going on, sometimes things just fail. Breakers, wires get hot then get loose then get hotter! We run our main panel feeds each year to check all the wiring and check torque on connections. We find issues then but hopefully prevent breakdowns later. Outlets on posts over time need to be replaced. they wear out. Especially the 30 amps. Everyone with 50amp units want to save a few bucks and run on 30 put heavy loads on the 30s. ha Well not everyone, but you get the idea.

Ok enough of my rant...You get the idea to run one. ha
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote