View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
rdunk

Most of us have had problems with our Dometic fridges. Right off the bat we blew fuse, and learned the 1 amp needed to be replaced with a three amp. But mostly it just did not cool well enough, and then when it did cool pretty good, it would frost up quickly, and need to be defrosted. Then couldn't hear the fans running, and figured the heat sensor was bad, and replaced it. No change. Had a technician test the sensor using a heat gun. Yes, the fans came on at the proper temp. of about 150 degrees, and went off at about 130 degrees. The tech confirmed the on/off temps with Dometic. The entire cooling unit was replaced, with no noticeable change. A technician did replace the "thermister", which is the inside temp sensor. No noticeable change.

You can check the thermister, by unplugging a small white (on ours) connector from the card on the lower rear of the fridge. An unplugged thermister defaults the fridge to run on high. If the fridge runs colder with the thermister unplugged, then it may be a bad thermister.

I had moved the thermister a number of times during all of this. Finally one day, a little exasperated with the fridge, I moved the thermister nearly as high as it could go on the fin - the top of the plastic sticks up about 3/4 of an inch above the fin. I don't know whether just moving the sensor that far up caused a change, or maybe it is the first time the thermister (small contact sensor on the end of the incoming wire) actually made contact with the metal fin FOR THE FIRST TIME.

But since that time, the fridge has worked great (for an RV style fridge). Running on #3, right now, with the outside temp at 73, and the fridge having some use during the day, it is at 39 degrees (if the outside temp were 15 degrees higher, it wouold still be at the same temp. Over night at this setting it will go down two or three degrees from that. On #5 it will go to freezing overnight. If we put a lot of stuff in the fridge after going to the grocery store, we will turn it up for a quicker cool-down. For overall, #3 works best for us, for not freezing up the fins.

As most know, a common "inside the fridge fan" does helpthe fridge cool better. I am made aware of that every time the fan batteries deplete, and the fridge temp goes up a little. :lol:

Now over the time, I have found that after a good defrost, it usually takes several days for the fridge to get back to a satisfactory cooling temp.

Hope this is helpful!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote