Thread: Slide Problem
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #75
Rockyhud

FINAL UPDATE: Several weeks ago I had time and decent weather and was able to replace the wobbly wheel hub/bearing/rotor and brake pads on the off-door side rear axle. The actual work wasn't bad at all. A few weeks after that, while replacing some spring eye and shackle grease zerks with 45-degree zerks and greasing all wet bolts, I had time to raise the tires on the door side off the ground and give the wheels and tires a good wiggle test. I was pleasantly surprised to find the front had absolutely no play. The rear had barely, and I mean barely, perceptible play - so little that I spent more time rotating the wheel a little at a time and repeating the wiggle test. According to documentation from Lippert The amount of play I was barely detecting was well within the limits of acceptability. That said, I will definitely keep this wheel in mind and check more periodically so I don't allow it to cause problems. I still have 3 more hub/bearing/rotor assemblies for replacement when needed.

So, back on topic, we had nice weather and time to hitch up and take the rig out for a test run yesterday to see if there was any abnormal sound coming from the rig during tight turns. Before the hub replacement, I had heard some mild metal-on-metal screeching sound from the rig during tight turns on our trip home from FL. It was only during tight turns, due to the higher side load on the rears, as there were no unusual sounds when rolling through wide turns and going straight. I was very pleased to NOT hear anything but the normal sound of tires scrubbing a little during very tight turns.

So, it appears all hubs and bearings are good to go for the foreseeable future. It's also reassuring to know I have 3 more new hubs if/when the time comes for repairing the other wheel locations.

Thank you to all who provided good info to me (and others) while I was sorting things out.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote