View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
Gemstone

"My only concern with the TrailerSaver is being able to take it out of the truck, and messing up the bedliner"

While I don't know the weight of the pick up version TrailerSaver, it will be heavy....but even the Li'l Rocker hitch I use in my Dodge is heavy, I usually remove it in 2 pieces. You can figure out a removal method once you know the weight of the unit, which should be available on the TS website. TS will also be able to guide you through their recommended installation procedure, whether you follow it is up to you.

Two schools of thought on the "hitch and bedliner" issue...some say don't place the hitch or rails directly on the bedliner for fear of poor attachment, due to the bedliner's "peaks and valley's" flexing when bolted down. That method is to cut the bedliner and remove the material between the rails and the metal of the bed, thus metal to metal contact and good bolt torque is attained. Good logic, but now you have holes in your bedliner.

The method I used is a modified version of the above...the bedliner is left intact, metal rod, the same thickness as the "peak/valley variance in the bedliner is placed in the valley portion underneath the rail, thus the only compression I have to be concerned about is the thickness of the bedliner material, not the peak/valley difference. Using lock washers and fiber locking nuts, my attachment has not loosened in 4 years of use, and no holes in my bedliner.

Regards
Gemstone