View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
bstark

The Trailair with the TriGlyde optional plate added would indeed be the way to go if considering a hitch other than an air hitch for your truck as the Tri-Glyde uses the weight over the pin of the trailer to center itself for the next fore and aft event, thereby reducing the effect on your truck.

The two air hitches working "against" each other is a popular mis-conception as each has different dampening rates according to the ratings and number of bags in each along with the Trailair having a shock-absorber to dampen/control rebound.

I had both an air hitch and a Trailair pinbox and loved the set-up but then my hitch was a Gene McCall AirGlyder with a "walking beam" with air bags on it to cushion fore and aft AND vertical movement (4 bags in all) as well as 4 shock absorbers to control rebound dampening of all movements. So in total between the two, the Airglyder and the Trailair my trailer was cushioned from towing forces by 5 air bags and 5 shock absorbers. It got a soft ride while being towed by my 17,700lb International.