View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
bstark

I do not wish to hy-jack Geoff's topic but for those who are, or have experienced shock mount failure; you would be advised to check the placement of those mounts relative to the total shock absorber stroke positioning of your mounts.

If there has been any mod done to the trailer suspension such as lowering or raising the spring eye to shackle positioning or installation of another suspension system entirely without subsequent re-positioning of those mounts, you may have a situation where the shock absorbers are either hyper-extending or bottoming out occasionally.

The factory may also have inter-mixed the shackle link plates on the Trail-air suspensions for the 36's and 38's (my situation) which mean't the wrong length shackle link plates were installed on my trailer from the factory resulting in the shocks bottoming frequently. My unit was a 38 Mobile Suites 2367 built 05.

Re-welding my top mounts that had broken off simply resulted in the bottom ones breaking the long finger off until I reasoned that they were bottoming and taking the trailer to Trail-air to ascertain what was up.

One look at the suspension and Trailair noticed the wrong shackle link plates had been installed on their suspension unit by the factory.

Very sorry to hear of your problems and good luck with your resolution Geoff.