View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #35
CALinSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
I'm gonna try and revive this thread and see if I can get some more use out of it. In 2010 when my 5er was 5 years old I looked hard at the OE tires (GoodYear G614 16 inch load range G) and decided they would stand another summer trip. So I loaded up and headed west. Made it all the way to Anniston AL. (150 miles or so) before I had the first blow out. Took out the gas line, the AC power line and some other stuff. I put the spare on and limped to Tupelo MS where I spent 3 days and 20 trips to Home Depot to get everything back together. Best I could do for a new spare was a E rated truck tire but figured it would get me off the highway and to an RV park if anything else happened. A few weeks later I'm in OK and the other OE tire on that side blew out. If I had read this thread I would have expected it. Changed that one and now I'm on an E rated truck tire. I soft pedal to Fort Smith AR and find a truck tire place and get two G114 G rated tires and I'm good to go. As soon as I get back to ATL I find a truck place and go get two more GY 16 inch G rated tires. By 2012 I have studied the tire situation some more and I go for new GY 17.5 H rated tires. Today I'm washing the trailer and I think about the tires. THEY WILL BE FIVE YEARS OLD THIS SUMMER and I'm planning a big trip.

There seem to be two opinions on this thread, "change them before 5 years" and "they are fine for 7 or 8 years". I just spent 1200 bucks getting the axles re-bent and aligned and the tires LOOK great. Besides I think I paid north of 2500$ for the tires and wheels and I don't think I got my monies worth yet. But, on the other hand I don't want to deal with any more blow outs. OPINIONS OR COMMENTS REQUESTED HERE.
IMO, with those 17.5" tires having been properly inflated and never overloaded you should heed the tire manufacturer's advice on age.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-...uidelines.aspx

On edit: That's right, GY is not going to give an age limit for their tires. So, you have to look at an industry standard that limits all tires to 10 years.

A good indicator from any tire manufacturer is the age limit in their warranty packages. Mostly Six Years.