View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
Motor31

I may have fixed the issue. I hesitate to declare victory just yet but so far it looks good.

I hooked up the truck to the trailer to hold the nose up. I then put the front legs down on the ground but not under pressure. The line is simple and takes a 7/16 open end wrench to remove it. Since the legs were not under pressure there was minimal loss of pressure. Do NOT try to do this job with the legs up as that will put tons of air into the ram.

I took the hose to a hydraulic shop. The hose is a standard 3/8 inch hose. They made a new one for me in about 15 minutes.

After getting back to the trailer I still had to "bleed" the hose. I did that simply by hooking the new hose up to the ram. I then used a crowbar to raise the ram forcing fluid out through the hose. Once it was flowing and no longer showing bubbles it was bled of air. I had Nancy hold the ram then push it up just a tad more while I screwed the other end to the valve block fitting. Doing it this way kept air from the system.

After making sure both ends were tight they were cleaned and the system exercised. I checked for leaks at each end. I had the legs holding pressure then unhitched. The trailer held level. Raising and lowering it a couple times and still no leaks. Doing the job took me about 2.5 hours but that also included hitching operations the trip to get the hose and clean up. The hose cost $12.03 with tax. I also used about a cup of fluid to replace the loss. So far after 8 hours there has been no settling of the trailer nose.

I don't have any idea if this will correct the dropping legs but I'll find out later on when we head out on Friday.

There is another bit of info you might want to know. The hoses on the trailers (at least the 05 versions) are rated for a working pressure of 2200 PSI. The newer pumps that were installed with the latest mod are 2800 psi capable. This may be the cause of the seep failure. You might want to look over the hoses in your rig at the connection points and look for leaks. It takes a very very small seep to cause the trailer to start dropping. Since the legs are not pinned, your rig can drop to the ground.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote