Thread: Fridge Problem
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
rdunk

Mikey, I don't think I have heard of a problem like yours before, in looking online for help with my own problems in the past. Your fridge seeming to start warming up every 4 to 5 days is certainly not good!!!

Regarding the fans, the temp sensor (on the fridge exterior cooling fins) is rated to turn the fans on at 150 -160 degree range, and shuts the fans off in the 135 degree range. A qualified RV service tech told me this, and then used a heat gun and heat sensor to verify my temp sensor was working right. So, when you listen for the fans, they won't be running, unless the on-temp has been reached. I had originally logically thought that the external area of the fridge should be as cool as possible, but, now I now assume the higher operating temps are necessary for the adequate cooling of these RV type fridges.

Since you said the fridge had worked well for a year, then you obviously have seen the changes, However, as you must know already from experience on one of these RV fridges, having the door open for a long period, and/or loading it with stuff that is not already cold, will cause the fridge to warm up, and it usually takes some extended period for it to cool back down.

You might unplug the "thermister" cable from the ckt card on the back of the fridge, to verify if it might be bad. With the thermister unplugged, the fridge should default to "on high". The thermister sensor is that thing that is attached to an inside cooling fin, and regulates the fridge cooling to however you have it set to cool. If you do this, you don't need to remove the thermister from the fin, just unplug it on the rear. If unplugging the thermister stops the fridge from warming up every 4 or 5 days, then that may be your problem.

Are your interior fridge fins icing up. Icing will cause our temps to go up, and occasional defrosting takes care of that.

Most of us have had fridge problems, so, hopefully you can hear from someone here who has had a problem similar to what you are having.

Good luck!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote