View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Alpo

Towing Limitations and Trailer Selection

I upgraded to a 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins and am looking for a compatible 5th Wheel. It appears the most limiting factor associated with my Truck is the Payload Limit. While the total GCWR is 25K allowing for 17010lbs of Additional weight the Payload is only 2180lbs (in my case 1950lbs according to the Door Jam Sticker). That being said I find myself limited to what they call Half Ton Campers, and even then it’s close to that limit. Various guidelines have me subtract any weight associated with Cargo and Passengers in the Truck. Without loading up the truck and going to scales I assume it’s not a Pound for Pound subtraction, due to the distribution of that weight (front seat passenger weight is clearly more placed on the front axle, rear seat less so but still split maybe 50/50). Obviously the Hitch is 100% being squarely on the Rear axle. Does the Lomit assume a full tank of gas/diesel, or does that also reduce allowances? Unlike others I see out there I am trying to stay within recommended allowances. Right now I am looking at a Forest River 8529RLWS. Is there any spiritual advice out there from other 5th Wheel towers having dealt with this in their endeavors?
Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote