Thread: Slide Problem
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #22
Rockyhud

Thanks for the advise, guys. Dan nailed it with my concerns about stripping the threads or snapping off connectors/fittings and Joe's advise about using backup wrenches (and good quality ones) is what I intend to do as well. Great advise for anyone else attempting this.

The reason I know there are so many leaks is while checking out the RV before the trip home, I used clean white paper towels to wipe off as much leaked fluid as possible after I showed the seller the problem. At that point he called his RV tech guy who suggested we run the slides in and out as well as the landing gear and rear stabilizers up and down, all while watching for any new seepage. Almost immediately I saw red fluid seeping from the pump connection furthest from our position - one that connects to the manifold/spool valve. It appeared at the top of that connector then ran down, becoming more apparent as it did. Once we got the RV home and I went around checking everything again, that's when I noticed more seepage and less fluid in the reservoir. On this last note, with the slides all out and the RV having gone through its auto-leveling routine at home, the fluid level is just at the bottom edge of a black line on the reservoir label - what I presume to be a reference for how much fluid should be in it. As I recall, when checking out the system earlier with the seller and under these same conditions, the fluid level was just at the top edge of this black line. This seems to be excessive leakage to me.

I still intend on going through the system and CAREFULLY tighten all connectors. I think the best method is starting with connections furthest from the pump and working through all connectors toward the pump and reservoir. I didn't see any alternate ideas so I'm presuming this is the best method. It's not going to be easy as there isn't much room in there for two hands and wrenches, but it's gotta be done. Hopefully the weather this weekend will cooperate with warmer temps - too cold now with highs in the low 30s today and high 20s tomorrow.

As for what fluid to refill with, does anyone know if it requires any specific brand or type ATF? I read earlier some use pretty much any universal type and others use synthetic.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote