Thread: What to Buy
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
hitchup

2009 38TKSB3

Here's our story: We had always thought we would go Teton. Tried to get a nice barely used one, but it was sold before we could go look at it. So we started FTing in a 05 Open Road. It was uncomfortable in many ways, so we drove to a Teton dealer after 5 mos FTing. We were both disappointed with the finishes (and the cost.)

By mid-winter, I had done more research. We had looked at Heartland, really liked them, but then I found a Suite dealer also nearby. We were going to check them out when I discovered that weekend they would be at an RV Show nearby. So we saw our first Elite Suite and were pleasantly surprised. Put down our deposit and arranged our own financing.

When we picked up our Suite, they had a Travel Supreme Select with tile floors and all the options you could ever need. But at a much higher price tag than our ES.

We had a series of serious fixable leaks, but we still loved our Suite. I would find one and DH would fix. 2006 Elites had some design problems. We continued to look at Teton's to compare. Talked to a Factory Rep at the 2007 Hershey show. Went to Teton dealer in Atlanta, but didn't like the deal or the finishes they were offering.

Last summer, we had some free time towards the end of a project in WV. We took a long weekend after the 4th of July. We drove to Indiana for some factory tours. Intention was to compare higher end Carriage Royals, also a Newmar with a Suite to trade in 2010. But we only had time for Carriage one day and DRV the next. They were both building 2009's.

We quizzed Kent at DRV on corrections and improvements. We found there was no comparison, especially with price. DRV was priced much better.

Late that month, we moved to next project in AL. After looking at our budget, a few phone calls and emails to a dealer, we took a day trip in Aug to see some finished 09's Then sat down with a salesman to see if we could customize the way we wanted it and still afford the unit. We Could, We Did and We're even Happier than we were with our first Suite. And after 4 months, not one problem!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallms_111.jpg (29.5 KB, 303 views)
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote