Thread: Underbelly
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
rotaxman

Underbelly

Took three fourths of the underbelly down on my 06 36TK3 day before yesterday. Needed to wire it for the unltra twin two electric rear power stablizer jack.

Wish I hadn't done it couldn't believe what a poor fit the belly was to the frame and all of the trash that I found inside. Lots of saw dust metal shavings insulation that was stripped off of wire and just droped in the under belly also some small light weight plastic tubes have no idea what that goes to haven't seen any thing like it anywhere in the trailer.

Went to lower the spare tire down found that DT drilled the hole about two inches to high so the crank handle wouldn't fit the crank. You might want to check that before you have to try and change a tire in the dark or rain it could prove to be very annoying if the hole is cut wrong.

None of the trailer wiring was secured to the frame at any point under the trailer nor were the Hyd lines they just let everything fall as it may. I can see why they might have trouble with air in the Hyd lines my kitchen slde extend hose is about two feet to long so it has a nice little loop in it that could trap air at the top. So far I haven't had that problem and hope that I don't.

There is room for lots more insulation so I will be installing that while I have it apart. Currently I'm trying to figure out a better material than that cheap plastic waferboard they put on at the factory. I may have to put the same thing back under it but if I do I will have some metal strips that will support the belly also there will be at least 70 or 80 more screws with large fender washers installed also. They just did not install near enought screws so the plastic sheet was sagging some and had several breaks in it. The fit around the spring shackles was terrible you will have wet insulation if yours was not fitted any better than mine. All and all the worksman ship in the entire underbelly was very poor. I have all of the wiring secured and the Hyd line secured in a flat position. I should be going back together early next week. The weather has turned cold and now that I'm retired I don't have to work in the cold any longer.

I do also think that Lippert has some serious trouble I didn't see any welds on the entire underframe that looked all that good my shock mounts have not broken yet but they would if I don't have them welded they will have to be remade with larger pieces of steel and welded by a profissional welder. (Not me by any means)

This post has been long enough just thought I would share some of what I found so that everyone would be aware and take a look at their underbellys.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750