Thread: Hose washers?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
wingnut60
Site Team

hose washers

To get this thread back to hose washers....I said earlier Glenn had an interesting question. I am sure he had a problem and needed to correct it. Just happens that the subject was such a minor item that most of us have never had to deal with it. I would assume that for some reason the washers in his supply hose deteriorated--and was causing a smell--whether or not this corrects the taste/smell of the water in his trailer remains to be seen.

Washers I have seen are either natural rubber (this will degrade rapidly) or rubber with additives to prevent degrading, or some form of plastic/teflon that should never degrade. Not being a washer expert, not sure what happened to his to cause the problem. Perhaps at some point, excess chlorine was in the water--that would probably do in the rubber. I have seen this happen a lot in the older type faucets with the washer at the end of the stem held in by a screw--they fall apart way too often.

Glad to know there are washers to be used in drinking water hoses--I had assumed they were all the same.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote