Thread: Autofromers
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
rdunk

Quote Red Ram: "Just trying to get some first hand information so that I can purchase what I need, and not what some sales person says that I need.
.................................................. ..................................................
Not sure where you are in the purchase of either unit. I looked at the autoformers, and decided a "top-of-the-line" surge protector (SP) would be a better investment for me. Some of these can do so much more than just "surge protect". For FYI, here are the detailed features of what my surge protector does, and also a web link to where I bought mine.

One of the features I particularly like is that the scrolling display shows the amp draw on each of the incoming power "legs" - can really be helpful at times.

The Smart RV Surge Protector 50 AMP
EMS-PT50C
Features:

High low voltage protection: Whenever source power fall below 104 Volts, or rise above 132 volts the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. Once the AC source rises above 104-volts, or below the 132-volt level the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to RV.

Time delay for A/C Compressor: Whenever source power is interrupted by the source or the EMS, due to a fault condition the built in time delay is activated, for 136 seconds.

4-Mode surge protection: This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-N, L-G, L-G, L-L and N-G. Joule rating is 3560, response time of <1 nano second.

Surge Indicator: If ever a power surge damages the surge protector circuit within the EMS L-N, or L-G Digital display error code will read E-10. This is your indication that it needs to be replaced.

Reverse polarity protection: If source is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E1.

Open neutral protection: If the source has an open neutral condition the display will not light, and will not allow power to the RV.

Open ground protection: If source power has an open ground condition the EMS will read an error code of E2 and will not allow power to the RV.

AC Frequency Protection: If source power frequency deviants +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second the EMS will shut down source power, and indicate an E7 or E8 error code on the digital display.

Accidental 240V protection: If 240 volts is detected when plugging into source power the EMS will not allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage, and the appropriate error code.

Integrated information panel: Scrolls continuously all of the power source information, voltage, current, frequency, error codes, and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for 2 seconds

Previous error code: This feature tells the user why the EMS previously interrupted to the RV. This is only displayed if an error actually occurs and goes away when power is disconnected.

Weather resistant: Can be exposed to elements, may not be submerged.

Microprocessor controlled: The computer, is driven by state of the art microprocessors that are programmed with software to drive the entire EMS.

Built in Lock Bracket: Allows the user to secure to power source to prevent theft.

Link - http://www.rvpartscenter.com/prodsel...ID=172&CID=245

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote