View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
47hook

I've been RV'ing since 1978, 4 TT, 1 MH, 1 5er with a second one, a MS, to be delivered this month. Everyone of the units had issues with them. Most items I just fixed, sometimes with parts sent to me under warranty. An RV by it's nature is a series of compromisses. I don't expect it to be built with the same solid structure as a stay in one place house.

Having read just about every post on this forum, it appears that what some are calling Quality Control issues are really a matter of expectations not met. Is it a QC issue if wires and hydraulic lines are run loosely under, around and through frame members and lay on the underbelly? Or a matter of getting the job done quickly and keeping costs down while not compromising overall functionality? Aircraft are made so every single wire, tube, etc is attached to some sort of structure for safety and reliabilty needs that are not present in an RV.

Other QC complaints I believe relate to the components installed in a unit that the manufacturer obtains from vendor sources, such as the frame. The assembler of these components, DT, should insure the quality of the individual components to the best of it's ability but shouldn't necessarily be blamed for another manufacturer's hidden flaws. If too many units are flawed, then maybe another vendor should be used or have the current vendor supply components made to DT's specific requirements. But, there are just so many suppliers of certain parts.

To me QC issues are more of how did they assemble the components - fit and finish, trim, cleanliness of the areas normally accessed while using the unit, did they select quality components (Microwave, TV, stereo stuff), is the unit livable in design and execution, are straight lines straight, are components attached securely, etc. The fact that a component from a vendor fails to perform is one issue, does DT stand up to the plate and fix the problem for the customer is the important one. And is there a feed back process to correct issues that are recurring too frequently?

Everything that's manufactured has the possibility of failing before it's time. I have expectations that the unit will wear well with normal useage and care. I also have expectations that the unit won't be perfect. Kind of like me, not quite perfect but working on it.

I am not trying to berate those that have brought up issues of QC; it has given me lots of good info on what to look for, how to fix, etc. I have just given my idea of what QC is in regards to RV's. I will use a lot of the info gathered here and on other forums for my PDI, but it probably won't be as in depth or time consuming as some others might be. I will let y'all know of my "luck of the draw" with our new MS.

Now if it would just GET HERE!!!
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote