View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #39
CALinSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
Where would I find a formula for what pressure would be correct for what wheel weight? Or, do I have to do the arithmetic? Man that would make my head hurt.
There is a tire industry standard to be used when using plus sized replacements.

Because the vehicle manufacturer’s cold recommended tire inflation pressures listed on the certification label/tire placard for the Original Equipment (OE) tires are considered golden by the tire industry, they become the benchmark for all subsequent replacements.

So, using that standard, the cold recommended inflation pressures for the plus sized replacements will be determined by the load capacity the OE tires provided at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended inflation pressures listed on the certification label/tire placard. You should always set the new recommendation and then add whatever pressures you desire above that to provide the load capacity reserves you want. Never exceed the wheel load capacity or psi capacity or the load capacity of the tire.

NHTSA allows the use of an auxiliary tire placard for plus sized tires. You can hand make one or ask your tire dealer to provide you with one. It should be placed adjacent to the trailer’s tire placard.

A note: Tire manufacturer’s DO NOT set tire inflation pressures. The vehicle manufacturer has done that and all subsequent settings need to be derived from the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations.