View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #37
stanleyz

So far I like the responses. When I bought these I was thinking I'd get 8 years out of them but today I found this thread and I read where several guys had blow outs on the H rated tires at 5 years. So, I'm wondering.

As to weighing each wheel, I don't know where to do that. Only place I know that has that kind of scale is DOT vans. I have the axle weights and of course neither one is anywhere near the rating of these tires. If I read this right the suggestion is that the tires will be harmed if the pressure is not reduced to match a tire weight below max. That's kinda different from anything I've ever heard. I was always taught that running the tires at sidewall numbers would make the ride harsher but increase the life of the tire. Hence the difference in the sidewall pressure and the door tag pressure recommended by the manufacturer. I'm sure both numbers are required by the feds but it's counter intuitive to me that lowering pressure would increase a tires life. Where would I find a formula for what pressure would be correct for what wheel weight? Or, do I have to do the arithmetic? Man that would make my head hurt.