View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #29
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Way back when I had the weighing business weighing RV's by wheel position I used to spend more time than I should have in various tire stores along my routes asking questions. One was how do you inspect tires? Many of the real tire stores that most of us use have for the most part younger and inexperianced employees. Many didn't know what I was asking, the common answer was , well I look at it! From what I found to actually inspect a tire first it needed to be dismounted. Then with a good light source look inside the tire and run your hands over the ribs, looking and feeling for anything that would be not like the rest of the tire. Finding any slight bumps, ripples or humps indicates broken cords, weak cords or a source of impact and can and normally does weaken the internal strength of the tire. Almost without fail, none of these problems are seen from the outside untill it is too late. I use the term cords and that can and normally is the wires built into the tire for strength. The cost to dismount and inspect is a reason most folksdon't do it, thinking the tire looks fine why spend the money and that seems to work for many, but every so often an inspection would catch an impending doom situation before it happens.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote