View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
terry and jo

Some clarification is needed, since I posted the previous question with about 4 hours of sleep. It's rough when you can't lie down to sleep without coughing like crazy.

We already have our coach. In my signature, I have listed the 2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 and the Ford F450 as the towing unit. When we ordered our coach, we ordered the Trail-Aire suspension and the Trail-Aire pin box. (At the time, I didn't know about the Tri-Glide plate, but ours came with it anyway.) In addition, I have a Reese 22K fifth wheel in the back of the F450.

Since some have really praised the TrailSaver air hitch, and Beachgirl (from another 5 page thread) is going to order the TrailSaver but not the Trail-Aire pin box, I had questions come to mind. (However, I think Beachgirl is getting the Trail-Aire suspension, just not the pin box and Tri-Glide.)

If one wants to get a TrailSaver with the Binkley head, the ones for the pickups (as opposed to the MDT's) are listed on TrailSaver's website as a model TS3, rated at 20,000 lbs. One source that I could find that had a price for the TS3 listed it at $2500, including an air compressor.

So, is there an overwhelming reason for me to spend $2000 to $2500 to get a Trailsaver as opposed to less than $1000 for my current Reese, which is still rated 2000lbs higher than the TrailSaver?

While I've only pulled our coach one time for more than 20 or 30 miles at a time, I have been pleased with the ride with the Reese and the Trail-Aire system (pin box with Tri-Glide and suspension on the axles), especially considering Oklahoma's roads.

Now, I am presuming that one does NOT have to have an engine powered air compressor to use the TrailSaver. We do have a Sears air compressor that has a maximum capacity of 150psi. I presume that one could "charge" the TrailSaver air bags with that. Or, does one have to have an engine powered air compressor?

I'm asking the questions because there may be others out there that would like clarification, especially considering the differences in cost between a TrailSaver and a Reese system.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote