View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Suite Sweets

Door slamming each other - FIX

Almost all of the double cabinet doors in my DRV hit each other when closed. The horizontal adjustment on the hinges, does not have enough adjustment, to correct the issue. The hinges are manufactured by Blum (that's what the 'b' stands for on the hinge) and they are made for a door that overlays the cabinet by 1-1/4" (that's stamped into the hinge). To correct the problem, I ordered 2 (each) of 1-5/16" overlay Salice hinges for each door of a set of double doors.

The Salice hinge has the same hole pattern as the Blum hinge, so all I needed to do was unscrew the Blum hinge and screw on the Salice hinge. I only changed one door in each set of 2 doors - moving that door away from the other door of it's pair, by 1/16". Moving the door over, may require re-adjusting the catch strike. Any time I had a bank of several double doors in a row, I made sure to move over every other door - didn't want to move two adjacent doors, of a different pair, closer together.

What caused the problem was that either the doors were made slightly too wide, or, the hinges installed were wrong to begin with. At the same time as I swapped the hinges, I changed some of the hinge elevations on the face frame. Prior, a door hit an A/C vent, another door hit the exhaust fan frame, yet a 3rd door hit the drawer below it, if the drawer was open while opening the door. It takes time, which DRV didn't want to invest in a manufacturing "get it out the door" environment. But for an owner, it's a great way to spend an afternoon.

Incidentally, those screws that adjust the hinge are not Phillips head screws. You can use a Phillips driver, but the right tool is a 'Pozi' driver. You can exert much more torque in a Pozi screw. Order the driver with your hinges.
Suite Sweets is offline   Reply With Quote