View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 11:41 PM   #19
47hook

Actually I would, however I will check out the reference because I believe the operant phrase here is:

An additional clarification of Declared Gross Weight I found is this, while it was in the commercial side of definitions it is the clearest cut definition I could find as it clarifies the term "ascribed".

. A weight certificate or any other document that evidences the receipt of goods for shipment, that is issued by a person engaged in the business of transporting or forwarding goods and that states the gross weight of the vehicle with load that is in excess of the prescribed maximum weight limitation permitted by this article is prima facie evidence that the weight of a vehicle and load is unlawful.

H. If the commodity being carried is sold by weight, a weight certificate or any other document that evidences the receipt of goods for shipment, that is issued by a person engaged in the business of transporting or forwarding goods and that states the gross weight of the vehicle with load that is not in excess of the prescribed maximum weight limitation permitted by this article is prima facie evidence that the gross weight of a vehicle and load is lawful. The presumption that the weight of the vehicle and load is lawful may be rebutted by the weight of the vehicle and load as shown by means of the department's stationary scale or a public weighmaster scale."

Pretty much seems this is in the area of commerce, not recreation.

Also, didn't read this post before posting in another thread. Not trying to sandbag anyone.

In your career, did you ever stop an RV'r and weigh them? How did you weigh them? And if you did, and they were overweight, did you arrest them/ticket them? And if so, what was the outcome in court (if they didn't just throw up their hands and pay)? And if as a professional, if you have trouble understanding/researching this info in just one state, how the heck is anyone else going to? And again, I am not being disrespectful to any LEO. I am not trying to be smart or clever. I do believe that there are others that have much greater knowledge than I that say what I have said.

I also believe that law is not engineering capabilities/ratings/restrictions/limits. It more deals with human failings and behavior. If you look at ads for vehicles, they do all sorts of miraculous things. If everyone operated within the parameters of the capabilities of themselves and their equipment, laws governing any of this would not be needed and OEM's would actually tell you real limitations of the equipment. A little bit more like aviation limits...which also had stretch to them. But that was in my other 28+ year career...
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote