View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Mogolfers

Hidden hitch failure

I know I have seem posts before on this subject but it has now hit close to home. My friend who has an identical Select Suite to ours was traveling with their bikes on the back, when the hitch broke and sent the bikes flying along with the hitch. If a car hadn't come up to the drivers side to flag them down they would of never known it. Luckily they were on a two lane road and the bikes and hitch slid to the ditch off the road. I can't even imagine what would happen it a car had hit the bikes and hitch and caused an accident. I had emailed Dan Tauer at Doubletree several months ago when it happened and did not get a response. I recently even called the owner of the dealership that sold us our 5th wheels and hitches, haven't heard a thing back. I guess I see this as an more urgent problem they they do!!! Does anyone have a way to beef up the hitch to prevent this from happening or have any other solution other than pitching the hitch in the trash? We will leave soon and are now afraid to trust the hitch with the bikes on it. Will it take the death of a family following a 5th wheel with a hitch failure to make everyone listen to this serious problem?
2011 38REPS4 Mobile Suite #5831
"Each day is a gift"
Mogolfers is offline   Reply With Quote