View Single Post
Old 10-18-2023, 08:53 PM   #2
kb0zke

Welcome, Matt! To answer #3 first, NO! More later.

1. Yes, you are working correctly thus far. Remember that UVW is useful only for figuring how much more the trailer can carry. Gross weight is the number to use for your calculations. Fifth wheels generally have 20-25% of their weight on the pin (hitch). That means that the 21,000 pound trailer you are looking at will put 5,250 pounds on the rear axle. If you can get by with only 20% on the pin you could get by with that truck - maybe. Depends on how you load things. You are going to be close, but you should be able to make it work.
2. No, you aren't. Many people get by just fine with a SRW. Others prefer the stability of the dually. I would probably be in the dually camp, and looking an an F450 just for the added cushion.
3. When you get ready to fly, do you take the information someone else prepares for you to file the flight plan, or do you go over it yourself? Do you accept the word that the airplane is ready to fly, or do you do a preflight yourself? I never flew an airliner, and I stopped flying when you were still in grade school, but when I got my private license it was pounded into me that I was the person who was responsible for the airplane. I treat my truck and trailer the same way. As far as I'm concerned, you are absolutely right in running the numbers yourself and making your own decisions.
5. Get out to the parks and talk to people with fifth wheels. Ask them your questions. Keep it general ("why did you choose a dually instead of a SRW? Why did you choose a SRW instead of a dually?" rather than "why did you buy an ABC123 instead of an XYZ456?") When we were in the research stage, more than 10 years ago, it seemed at first like every answered question raised six more questions. Eventually, though, some points started to percolate to the top and we were able to make some decisions about what to get.

Consider purchasing a "learner rig." Find a used toy hauler and used truck and see how it works out. Most likely you will quickly realize that you don't have the right rig for your fulltime adventures. That's fine. You don't have a lot of money tied up in it, so you can trade truck and/or trailer for something else that may meet your needs a little better. Many people go through this several times before they buy a new truck/trailer combination. Remember that both truck and trailer depreciate quite a bit as soon as you title them, which is why it is strongly recommended that you buy used at first.

Good luck with your adventures. Plan your flight, then fly your plan works just as well with RVs.