Thread: Pocket door
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
Gemstone

So, I waited for some qualified help to tackle the pocket door....good thing, the DW would have stormed off in anger...he just grinned.

Took off the "air return" grill above the pantry, and with a lot of prying and blocking from that access hole we were able to at least get the door and track somewhat and temporarily positioned back in place. I discovered some hastily added (by the factory) 3/4" Cad. plated 3/4" wood screws right inside the grill access hole, just drilled up through the door track. What that tells me is that sometime after my rig was built, but before it was delivered to me, the fine "Amish craftsmen", responding to prior pocket door failures, found a quick and dirty way of "fixing" the issue.....by just adding 2, 3/4" screws....there were still several factory screw holes in the track left unused....grrr...damn incompetent jack legs.

I was able to get 1 1/2" hex head self tapping screws in each of the factory track holes, and the two Amish holes, to total 9 screws now holding the track in place. Without disassembling the pantry, there was no way to install a bottom support track, so for now, the door repair is complete.

For those owners who have yet to investigate the type/size/quantity of screws installed by the factory in the pocket door track......ya better do it now.

Thanks to all for the previous comments about the repair process.

Regards
Gemstone