View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
terry and jo

Thanks for the link, Robert. Some discussion has been going on over on SOITC's website in regards to the torque settings and there has been some conflict. Lippert has told some folks to torque the axle nuts to roughly 180 ft lbs, but Kodiak, who manufactures the hub and brake system says 150 ft lbs.

Part of what has started the discussion is that some are having damaged drums/brake systems due to over-torquing of the axle nuts. Plus, based on what DRV has in their manual, tightening of the wheel lug nuts are to be done at 20 ft lbs for the first stage, 80 ft lbs for the second stage and 150 for the final stage.

It is almost getting to the point that I'm not sure any of us can know exactly what should be set except to go by the manufacturer of the component most likely to be damaged by over-torquing.

I plan to take some weight off of the axles and back off the axle nuts a bit before re-tightening. That way, if they are overtightened, I can relieve the extra pressure before doing it the recommended way.

Back when I did a lot of wheels and wheel bearings on the farm, things were a lot easier. Back then the axle nuts had slots in them with cotter key holes through the axle's threaded spindle. One tightened the nut then backed off to the nearest slot and inserted the cotter key.

I've saved a copy of that Dexter manual in with all the other online manuals I have found. Thanks again.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote