View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Check those valve stem nuts

Have had the trailer & truck parked for the past 3 months in a dirt field in storage. Went yesterday to pull it out and get ready for a small trip to the MS rally in Lake Havasu. Upon the initial walk around one trailer tire looked ever so slightly different, I thought it had just settled down into the dirt a bit. It had no look of being flat and the side wall was not bulging. These are the 17.5 inch Goodyear 'H' rated tires that I run at 110psi. Started the truck and turned on the TST system and went out to get ready to leave. Within a minute the monitor was screaming and flashing that tire was 54 psi. I went back and looked at that tire and the one next to it, no way did it look flat. As the system warmed up all the other tires were 110, 108 & 107. I could have looked and just pulled out had I not been warned. As I went to fill the tire, I found the nut that holds the stem ever so slightly loose and only took a 3/4 turn to stop the bubbles being made by the soap I sprayed there. I wanted to make sure that it was not the tire sensor leaking. Goes to show you can't tell by just looking any more if a tire is low. Today I went out and removed all the sensors and checked all the other nuts on the valves. All were loose, at least 3/4 turns to tighten them up. Maybe it might be something folks need to check every so often.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote