View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
terry and jo

Why a TrailSaver Air Hitch and Which One?

Please excuse any odd rambling or strange comments or questions, as I have been being ravaged by Upper Respitory Infection for the last week and a half. I am REALLY searching for a good night's sleep.

However, since I'm not there yet, I'll still ask the question as to why should one get a TrailSaver Air hitch for their fifth wheel? I have read the benefits of the air hitch and fully understand that, but are they so much better than say a Reese hitch with Trail-Aire pin box (equipped with Tri-Glide) and Trail-Aire suspension? Especially considering that the MSRP on the TrailSaver I looked at was nearly $3000?

In addition, besides getting the TrailSaver, one also has to have a system of airing them up, so there is also that cost to consider as well. Perhaps I should be looking at a different hitch than the $3000 one.

While that one is a good one for those whose trucks are already equipped with an air system, like Delaine and Lindy's Freightliner, what TrailSaver hitch should someone be looking at that has a regular pickup, including ones like our Ford F450?

Some comments that I think I remember reading involved the idea of not having to climb into the bed of the truck to adjust the air in the system. That is currently what I do with the Trail-Aire pin box. Plus, I know about the 12V compressor systems that could be installed on one such as ours, but at what cost? I don't even know what the brand name was that was mentioned at this time.

Maybe I ought to wait until I've actually had a good night's sleep? But then, maybe my rambling question may actually have a benefit for others.

What do you all think someone such as Beachgirl or I be looking at in the TrailSaver hitches and various air systems for them? I think one air system mentioned was something like Vlair.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote