PDA

View Full Version : HYDRAULIC Fluid

igotjam
03-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I can't find this anywhere. Time to add more hydraulic fluid. (pump drips into the tray under it..dealer says thats normal). Is it ATF like in a car or what? 9 months old and this will be the first addition of fluid.
Thanks

sigo'suite
03-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Any ATF type III transmission fluid, same as used in a vehicle.

igotjam
03-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks

Okie
03-01-2008, 11:41 PM
I don't believe any kind of leak of hydraulic fluid is normal. I haven't had any in my system since I have had it in three years. It's not normal any more than it would be in your car or truck. ATM is the same thing but you had better get the leak stopped or it will get worse.

Okie

igotjam
03-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Okie.....I'll ask next time I'm in somewhere for service. When I originally asked the dealer they showed me a new unit. It had about an eighth of an inch in the drip pan (just like mine that was then 3 months old) so I took them at their word that this was normal. I have to soak up fluid from the drip pan every 2-3 months....about 1/8 inch deep each time. I figured thats why they put a catch pan there.

sigo'suite
03-02-2008, 07:52 AM
I agree with Okie, I have had my coach going on 2 1/2 years and have had no leaks to date.

Motor31
03-02-2008, 08:12 AM
The original pump on our rig used to leave a puddle of fluid in the pan. After it was swapped out due to a bad motor the puddle stopped. All I have now is a very small seep from the main leg electric solenoid module. Since it doesn't drip I can live with it.

jack_diane_freedom
03-02-2008, 09:38 PM
You should have NO hydraulic leaks at all. The pan should be dry. Ours leaked and the technician found a loose fitting. Until we got it fixed just to make it easier to clean up I put a roll of toilet tissue on it's side in the pan. It will absorb the dripping fluid and then just dispose of the roll and replace with another when you think it is saturated.