PDA

View Full Version : Xantrex RS 3000 Inverter/Charger

Red Ram
12-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Question for you that have this unit. Do you feel that it is necessary to also have a Surge-Protector of some type protection for your electrical system?

The reason that I ask is because it states in the Xantrex operating manual that, "All Xantrex inverters have internal circuitry to protect themselves from overload/over-current conditions".

Do you feel that this would be adequate, or do you think we should back this up with more protection?

Hobo
12-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Question for you that have this unit. Do you feel that it is necessary to also have a Surge-Protector of some type protection for your electrical system?

The reason that I ask is because it states in the Xantrex operating manual that, "All Xantrex inverters have internal circuitry to protect themselves from overload/over-current conditions".

Do you feel that this would be adequate, or do you think we should back this up with more protection?

The protection they talk about is to protect inverter and has nothing to do with the rest of your trailer electrical system that I know of. You would have to have a 50 amp protector for the shore power and the RS 3000 is 30 amp max I believe. That means the integrated switch by-passes the inverter when your connected to 50 amp shore power.

I don't have the wiring diagram here but knowing the Xantrex units workings thats my thoughts.

morscuba
12-17-2007, 06:56 PM
I had an EMS (elecl. managment system) installed when I had my solar panels installed. I'm convinced that it will help extend the life of your appliances ie: Micro/conv oven TV's etc etc. Not only does an ems protect against Over surge but under voltage. Hobo is correct that the protection you mention is for the Inverter only and not the trailer. The xantrex 3000 is a 50 amp service though.

Red Ram
12-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback. Looks like I should consider some extra protection on the incomming AC line.

BobW
12-18-2007, 09:54 AM
I placed a 50 amp fuze from the battery to the inverter. They cost allot, but you can find them on ebay.

hitchup
12-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Before we even picked up our Suite, we bought a Frank's Voltage Booster at the dealership. That was the only thing they had in stock. The previous summer we experienced two months of power fluxuations & outages that fried 3 of our 4 Monster surge protectors all in one day. They did protect the electronics hooked up to in our Open Road 5er, but it was quite costly to replace the SP's. But we figured to replace the electronic components in the Suites, we were looking at a much higher cost.

Since we've had the Franks it's helped in low voltages, but haven't had anything fried since.

ponch
12-19-2007, 11:55 AM
If you would purchase a 50 amp protector from CW, that plugs into the shore power outlet, you eliminate the problem.

Ponch

mloftin
12-19-2007, 03:01 PM
I will be getting our new MS 38RL3 somtime in January and I had DT put a hard wired SP when it was built..

berghild
04-17-2008, 10:44 AM
we had the surge protector hardwired in at DT..does it protect against low voltage too?
Also there is a very expensive board in the auto satellite dome that will NOT be covered under warranty if it fails due to a surge. At least that is what one of the Dome manufacturers told us. Cyndy

Huck
04-20-2008, 06:24 AM
The auto satelite dome runs on 12 volts DC so you shouldn't have to worry about the elec. surge.
It only gets power if you are moving or have moved and have the switch turned on. It is not working(drawing power) all the time..

berghild
04-20-2008, 09:11 AM
that's interesting....then they told us a big fat LIE. Can't trust anyof those guys.
Well I l guess I shouldn't feel bad, when I didn't have the surge protector I lost everything electrical when the park decided to work on the electrical lines. What a pain that was. My neighbors has surge protectors on each individual electricl item but they weren't enough to stop the damage....some things mad it and some didn't.