PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulics Question

traveler
09-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Some help, please. I have a new problem. One of my hydraulic landing jacks extends itself a couple of inches after I retract it. It takes a few minutes for this to happen. I suppose that I have a leak in the associated hydraulic line. This is almost certain, since I get a small accumulation of fluid around the fittings.

This has happened once before and I tightened the fitting, solving the problem. But it has reoccurred. Probably this time it is the hose itself--that is, the "clamped" connections--not those that you can tighten with a wrench. So, I probably need to change out the hose. This looks like a non-trivial job. What do I have to remove to get at it. I can see the end in the battery compartment, but how do you get to the end on the piston for th leg?

ChrisM
09-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Its most likely a leaky seal in the jack, not the fittings. Find you local dealer and have the cylinder replaced.

rverdlm
09-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Or a leaking valve!

ChrisM
09-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Its possible that it could be the valve, but it rarely if ever happens. I've replaced probably a dozen or more landing leg rams, but never a landing leg valve. :wink:

billr
09-22-2007, 09:32 AM
We too had the front rams leak on suction side (retract) allowing them to seem down. No external leaks. With an external leak, it is possible for air in system to cause things to move, but most likely is the rams inner seals bypassing. As Chris said.

Ours was an early 05 model with the smaller rams, they replaced them with the newer larger ones, no problems since. Lippert should cover the repairs for you. Call them.

Cheers,
Bill