PDA

View Full Version : Rear Storage Box

cwsoules
05-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Has anyone added a storage box to the rear end of their 5er? I want to install a box 15wx30lx16h. It looks like I could use the structural 4"x4" sewer hose rear bumper as the base.

Stripit
05-14-2005, 08:00 AM
What will the construction be for the box? How much weight are you planning on the box holding?? The bumper really isn't all that stout, and if the box isn't too much weight for it,you might be OK? When the trailer goes bouncing down the road, that extra weigh could move enough to have the bumper rip right off. Had my own trailer hitch that was welded to the trailer frame, bend right off and almost lose the load I had on a shelf attached to the hitch after 300 miles!! Be careful

cwsoules
05-14-2005, 03:46 PM
My hose storage is welded to the 5er's frame. The previous owner had a platform there that he carried a 3000W generator back there. I expect I will carry up to 150# back there. I have looked carefully on the ninternet and think I'll end up with a fiberglass box. I want to stow two buckets that are 12" in diameter and 14.5" high. I hav thought of having two 2" hitch points installed on my two rig frame rails. With these hitches I could build a support system for the box.

Stripit
05-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Here again, just my opinion, I would think that would work, and adding the second 2 inch reciever for the added security would make it even stronger. Good luck and have fun

Badge
05-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Contact your manufacture, they will tell you what weight your bumper will hold. I don't have a bumper, so I would need to attach storage box carrier to the under frame. They told me it would carry 200 lbs. Also remember when you mount something on the rear you extend your distance from the axels and you have the chance of hitting bottom on some of the deeper dips, or steep drives

Happy Camping!
Badge

boondocker
05-17-2005, 09:00 AM
I had a piece of 2X4 steel tube cut the width of the frame and welded it into place about 12 inches in front of the rear bumper. I then welded a receiver tube to the bottom of both the new 2X4 & rear bumper. I never towed with it but I made a platform for my generator that slid into the hitch and also held water, coolers ect..

MDTdriver
08-11-2005, 12:39 PM
I have installed a Hitch Haul (aluminum one) useing a 4"x7ft L angle iron to ends of frame under fiberglass rear bumper and ran two straps from that back to frame crossmember, then added 2" receiver and straps at each end of Hitch Haul to L angle iron. To carry 2 electric bikes had this on two 5ers for 5 1/2 years. I had all welds professionally done. I put a water proof tarp over bikes and tied down with small chain using spring clips.
Larry & Kathy

cwsoules
08-11-2005, 07:05 PM
I finally bought a Camping World 2 bike carrying rack which bolts to the sewer hose box. I cut off what I did not need and added a big picnic cooler sitting on the hose box and restrained in place by the carrying rack. I use mortorcycle restraining straps to hold the cooler in place and have tied the handles to the hose box. It is quite stable and rides well. My freshwater filters, and fittings are in one sealed bucket and the sewer solution and fittings are in another sealed bucket. The two 25' white hoses and one 50' service hose also fit in the cooler.

glav
12-29-2005, 10:24 AM
I wanted some extra storage to carry items that I wanted with me, but don't use often. So I added a rack under the floor of our 5er. It turns out to be about 24" wide 70" long and about 15" high. I have two large plastic boxes that I keep stuff in. It works great, but I need to add a small winch mechanism to low and raise the rack. Is getting too heavy to lift by arm strength. But it is consealed and out of sight. Besides need the rear hitch receiver to carry buddy bumper and TV and DW Intenet Dishes.
Gene

This may or may not work, ??

Hobo
12-29-2005, 11:48 AM
I wanted some extra storage to carry items that I wanted with me, but don't use often. So I added a rack under the floor of our 5er. It turns out to be about 24" wide 70" long and about 15" high. I have two large plastic boxes that I keep stuff in. It works great, but I need to add a small winch mechanism to low and raise the rack. Is getting too heavy to lift by arm strength. But it is consealed and out of sight. Besides need the rear hitch receiver to carry buddy bumper and TV and DW Intenet Dishes.
Gene

This may or may not work, ??

I had made a setup like that for my travel trailer. I used a wench from a boat trailer with a couple pullys and cable to raise and lower it.

cwsoules
01-24-2006, 05:39 PM
We have used our bumper storage with great success since I installed it. It is really nice to have easy access to the bucket of tank drain equipment and the bucket of water filter and filling equipment as well as the hoses.