PDA

View Full Version : Generator vs Inverter opinions

bagpipes6
07-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Looking for opinions on the benefits of the Onan 5500 Marquis Gold generator vs the Xantrex 3000 watt inverter. I plan to fulltime and will most always be at a site that has hookups. But not knowing what can happen during the years with different circumstances of some dry camping, power outages, etc., what would you select between the two systems? What are your experiences and opinions on this subject.

Also, I was told from a rv service tech. that putting a ladder and roof rack can definitely lead to water and wear problems down the road. The weight of climbing on the ladder eventually wears on the screws and enlarges the holes to allow water entry into the rig even with resealing. Any thoughts on this??

Thank you in advance. John

cptxguys
07-27-2007, 03:54 AM
John,
The generator and inverter perform two different functions. The inverter is great if you're not hooked up to a power pole and you want to use AC items (such at the TV) for an overnight stop, in an area such as a rest area, Wal-Mart parking lot, etc. It can also perform the duties of supplying power (for short periods) during a power failure or outage.

The generator is a much better choice if you're dry camping in a location without a power pole. Then you'll have all the power you need! However, if you're not planning to dry camp, the unit takes up a good bit of space in the cargo bay to have as 'reserve power'.

We don't have either option on our unit, but if we had to do over again, we would definately get the generator, as we do a lot of tailgating at college football games, where there is no power available. We currently use a Yamaha portable generator which works nicely and is very quiet.

In terms of the ladder. I wouldn't be without it. Our previous unit did not have a ladder. Let me tell you, I wouldn't even consider getting a unit without one.

There may be times you'll need to get on the roof to work on the mechanicals (TV antenna, AC units, cleaning the skylight, etc). And if someone just happens to forget to put the TV antenna down, you'll wish you had a ladder to get access to the roof!

We've not had any issues with leaks.

billr
07-27-2007, 04:22 AM
Agree on both items, especially the ladder is a must! No problems with ours. Just keep an eye on the screws.

Cheers,
Bill

rverdlm
07-27-2007, 09:18 AM
For your situation I would go with the inverter and 4 6 volt batteries. If you occasionally need a generator get a portable. The reason for this is maintenance. A generator that is rarely used will probably not work when needed. If it is permanently mounted in the RV you can't take it to the shop without taking the RV and you'll then be out of your house until it's fixed.

RodeWorthy
07-27-2007, 11:48 AM
John,
I agree with all the others that a ladder is mandatory. There is a lot going on up on the roof. Soonr or later you will want to be there. You bring up a good point though. Here is a shot of a ladder installed with the top flanges installed on the curve of the roof. It is going to take some extra caulking to ensure these are not rain collectors.

http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/6737/2664223370097207290S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2664223370097207290wcwSup)

With regard to the Inverter/Generator decision that has been explained too. Here is a photo of the Xantrex RS3000 Inverter installed over the optional battery compartment on the curb side. The access to the inverter is from the curb side basement storage hatch.

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/5475/2888132220097207290S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2888132220097207290bBjgGm)

With the Inverter and 4 6-V batteries installed you can dry camp and have 12V and 110VAC power within reason throughout the coach -all powered from the bank of batteries. Of course, you will need to re-charge those batteries sooner rather than later. That can be done by connecting to campground power -- the inverter has a very capable battery charger built-in. Other sources of energy to refurbish the batteries are solar panels and the generator you mentioned. If you want to run big items like an Air Conditioner while dry camping you will need a generator. It will power the coach and re-charge the batteries through the inverter. So you see the inverter and generator compliment each other. They are not mutually exclusive.

Click here to view more pictures of the battery installation and other areas of Mobile Suites (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559691042MIXuio).

I hope this helps you work out your requirements.

Rodeworthy

WildJohn
07-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Lots of good information already but there is a little more food for thought. the Honda 2000 generator is portable and one man can handle it. two of them can be connected together for 4000wts. they don't take up a lot of room and VERY quiet. Handy for any emergency. Two of them will power your hole rig.
I have the 3000 watt model and wish I had the twin 2kw units. It is too big and heavy for less than two healthy men to handle. I also have the 6v battery bank and inverters. The only other thing I can offer is that Most of the lighting and many systems on the unit are 12vdc anyway so having the huge amount of 12v power is a plus. If you don't use the microwave, ceiling fans, or ac units and run the fridge on LP, you only need 12 volt. and a bank of golf cart batteries are great. but don't discount the need for maintenance on batteries. failure to maintain them is expensive and even with good maintenance they do wear out.
A lot of your reserve power is wasted in heat to change it from 12dc to 120 vac. In summary the "BEST" system is both generator and battery/inverter combo. beyond that you have to live with compromise.
good camping all ways
John

RodeWorthy
07-28-2007, 12:17 PM
I am going through the generator decison too. A couple of things to note.

The Honda 2000 has a rating of 1600W continuous -two of them would have 3200W. The 3000 has a continuous rating of 2800W so you gain 400W of continuous power over the 3000 with the 2000 pair -not 1000W. The peak ratings should not be used to determine the generator to use for your continuous power requirements.

The 2000 is quiet but not any quieter than the 3000 and two of them will be twice as noisy.

It is almost necessary to add an outboard fuel tank for the 2000's.

Electric start with remote or demand start is not an option with the 2000's.

The 2000 generator has an 8A DC charger but it is not designed to charge deep-cycle batteries (necessary for boondocking). The method to charge d.c. batteries is to use the 2000 to provide AC power to the inverter/converter which will charge the batteries.

I have become very interested in the new Honda 6500 but it is heavy at over 250 lb. It also has no DC out but does have a 240VAC outlet. It is also quiet at <60 db at rated ooutput. Electric start too. This would run the whole house including both A/C. Has a fuel tank that should last the day without outboard tanks.

I would have to mount this generator at the rear of the coach somehow but I am not very keen on that apporach.

I have no need for portablility of the generator. If you do, then the 2000's make the most sense.

Just something to think about when deciding.

Rodeworthy

WildJohn
07-28-2007, 11:41 PM
I forgot to reply to the question on ladders.
As a fultimer I was under the impression that it is a requirement to carry a ladder. I was told I couldn't get a permit for fulltimeing without one..LOL

Seriously I would just as soon not have the ladder on the back of my suite. I am not exactly a little person and it is plain scarey to climb up that ladder.. .
I have a "little giant" and love it. The 350# capacity Little Giant is comfortable and feels safe. I can get up to the roof anywhere, get up to the awning if needed.. get up to the slide out roofs... the front cap.. get up to clean and wash the sides.. I also use it to get up on the "ANGEL" to clean and wax her.
I usually carry it on the back of the Angel in transit and the Satellite dish in the basement then when I setup the antenna I put the giant in the basement where it had been.
Happy camping all the time
John

bagpipes6
07-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Thank you all for the great input. Very beneficial to help make a decision. :D