PDA

View Full Version : Adding a trailer hitch ?

OB
06-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Looking for info on adding a trailer hitch to my 36TK3. I want to flat tow a Jeep behind it. Anyone done this and if so tell me about how and the ins and outs please. Thanks OB

Motor31
06-17-2007, 10:10 AM
IIRC there were some posts about this earlier in the MS area. You might want to try a search for double towing. I'm not sure but I think there was some serious questions about the strength (thickness) of the frame walls for welding a hitch to it. I know the bicycle hitch and shock mounting tabs were NOT welded properly on my rig and they failed. The rear bicycle hitch also stuck down pretty far on the rear of the trailer.

Dueler
06-20-2007, 07:44 AM
I spoke to the owner of Doubletree about this subject when we did our factory tour a few years ago. He definitely said the frame on the MS is not designed for a hitch that can tow. That's why the hitch used for the bicycle carrier is an odd size, so you can't use another draw bar with it. I know some have said they have done it and have not had problems, but I prefer to trust the engineers who designed it.

Carny Bill
06-20-2007, 08:41 AM
About a month again I saw a MS traveling on the interstate towing and full size vehicle.

I checked on this site if it was anyone that is on the forum an got no replys.

I don't know why it could not be done if done properly, probably would need additional beefing. I understand DT not wanting everyone to do it, I am sure it would cause them more problems because of poor installtions.

wingnut60
06-20-2007, 11:55 AM
While I am new to the DT line, what towing I have done with my 36TK3, it would concern me deeply about the clearance of ANYTHING that would hang below the bottom on the rear pan. Several times already I have been close to dragging the tail of my trailer on commonly-traveled streets and roads. It seems to me, if the frame can support the weight, any hitch would have to come thru the rear pan (bumper) area, not hung below.
One of the things I plan to do is to raise the spring locators to the lowest position to gain ground clearance, even tho I don't plan to tow behind the trailer.