PDA

View Full Version : Map programs

jdwilson3
05-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Has anyone found or seen a map program similar to Google Maps that will allow you to enter a "target" distance to drive?

Google asks for a destination and you can't set a distance to drive. Trailer Life CD allows you to set a driving time (start time and end time) but not the number of miles you want to drive.

So, have you used one, or have one?

We sure wish we could have been to the rally, but we will get on the road June 16th for a month or so...have fun.

Hobo
05-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Delorme Street Atlas will let you set end of day on trips by time or miles. Will also let you put in Fuel tanks size and MPG to mark when you will need to pit for fuel. I have it on the truck laptop with the GPS attachment that tracks your progress on your rout etc. You can also download data files to import to show you underpass heights, Wal-Marts, Pass Port CG, C2C CG and more.
I would not be without it.

Mikey
05-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Used this program for a number of years
Quite inexpensive - about $30.
You can purchase a GPS module for a laptop - about $100

Allows you to set a "drive time" - program then draws a circle indicating how far you can drive.

Allows for speed input - start and stop times, fuel stops, etc.

One feature I like - breaktime - can set up to "rest" for 30 minutes every 3 hours.

Many campgrounds listed - will link to internet if connection available. Can search a specified distance from a location - ie within 25 miles of "End-of-Day" Great to find site for the night
Road repair updates as well.

jdwilson3
05-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Thank you for the info.

I forgot about DeLorme Street Atlas. I quit using it when I got my TomTom 910.

2007 Trailer Life RV Parks & Campground Navigator does all of the above except the "Miles" part. It will also interface with Delorme.

Motor31
05-26-2007, 07:50 AM
We use MS streets and trips. Very easy to use and quite good detail, strange for a MS product!

We interface a Garmin Legend handheld GPS with it. You do need to purchase an adapter (RS 232 to USB) cable and download or load up the cable software to make the GPS and computer talk to each other.