PDA

View Full Version : recessed lights

rverdlm
05-06-2007, 08:30 AM
We have used the recessed lights over our chairs for reading lights since we bought our rig and loved them. In the last month or so I've had 2 of the lenses fall off into my lap. (boy, are they hot) I found 2 others that were damaged. The reason the lenses fall is that the ears on the lenses have melted. Has anyone else seen this? I've only used 10W bulbs, I've checked the voltage (13.6V). I don't know what else to check. I talked to Kent and he sent new lenses, but said it was the first he's heard of this problem. Any advice would be appreciated as we are now afraid to use these lights.

Motor31
05-06-2007, 08:38 AM
We use the ones in the bedroom extensively and have had no issues with them. The flush mounted ones over the desk get the next most usage and they are fine. I'd rather they had installed something that generated less heat but so far so good.

rotaxman
05-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Dave

I had one burn out and by mistake but a larger wattage bulb in and it did the same thing yours did. My dealer just by chance had one on hand I replaced and no further problems. Not much help huh? But it has happened to at least one other.

I'm like Mike I would of liked something that did get so hot.

Good luck getting to the bottom of the trouble.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

Hobo
05-06-2007, 02:05 PM
I had 2 go bad and when the factory replaced it the replacement was a different color. I have replaced all 3 with 20 watt units from Home Depot for better reading and computing light. Still have the original 10 watt over the desk. The desk lights don't get much use now that the wife has here own lap top and WIFI so we have not had any more problems in the last 2 years.

rverdlm
05-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Rick, that's interesting info. Are the ones from HD 12V? Are they flush mount and fit the same holes in the ceiling?

Hobo
05-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Rick, that's interesting info. Are the ones from HD 12V? Are they flush mount and fit the same holes in the ceiling?

Yes they are 12V, but did come with a 120V power adopter. I just wired them direct to the existing wires and pitched the power brick.
They fit the holes and are not quite as flush as the originals protruding 3/4" and vented.

rverdlm
05-07-2007, 07:54 AM
They look great, Rick. As soon as we get to some place where there is a HD or Lowes I'm going to look for them. BTW there is a cute critter in the corner of the picture.